Saturday, March 12, 2022

@ the airport from Manila to Bacolod

I'm "family" at the airport. 

This flight is going to get me to Bacolod. The nearest airport to the village (Treshermanos). 

THere I'll meet Rheena, her family, and the other villagers for the first time.

My understanding is that as far as the oldest villager can remember, there has never been a foreigner here.

I'm nervous as hell and that. But, need to get through airport security / customs first. 

Although I left the hotel later than I wanted to, my plan to arrive at the airport several hours early paid off.

We unload the luggage. I try to pay the Grab driver, I had booked the car & opted to pay cash, so, I'm getting my wallet out, ask him what I owe, wanting to make sure it is the same as the app told me, the driver says,what seems to be, something like: don't worry, it's taken care of. 

I'm confused. I insist. I ask a few times. He keeps saying not to worry. Ok. In my mind, I'm not sure what's going on but, figure that perhaps the app had some promo since it was my first time using it? 

I don't know. But, I want to make sure I don't miss the flight and I'm not certain what lies ahead in the airport. 

I get my stuff off the curb, sort of organize myself. Look for all my documents, anything else I think I'll need "at hand" and then try to put anything I won't need into my backpack.

First there is a security scan / "x-ray" everything. 2 large, heavy suitcases, backpack, travel bag, empty my pockets, take of my belt, oh, I have a bottle of water. No problem. Send it through.


I get through, everything like it's going smooth until they want to check my backpack. Apparently, looks like there's a (small) knife in it? Not sure how I would have gotten through security in Philadelphia with a knife in my backpack. While spending 6 days at the airport, I've reorganized my stuff a few times. Don't recall running into a knife. 

Anyway, they show me what pocket of the backpack it seems the knife's in. I empty it. No knife. They run it through x-ray again. 

Still think there's a knife. I empty the main compartment. No knife. Run through x-ray. Still think there's a knife. We dig into the other pockets. Run through x-ray. Still looks like a knife somewhere... One last pocket. We find a pair of scissors. Huh? I don't recall having them. But, whatever, put it in my suitcase. We're good to go.

Next step. Information desk. Which check-in / bag drop off should I go to. They point me in the direction. I wait in line. 

Passport & vaccination card please. Do you have an "S-Pass"? No. Never heard of it. I've read the requirements who knows how many times... Never came across this. Holy shit! Another friggin document?! How long is it going to take to get that? I'm fucked. I'm not getting in this fight. G-d damn it! One thing after another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

money & rides

Their money... The exchange rate was roughly 51p to $1. So, $100usd = $5,271.70. It was a bit hard to tell what was going to be cheap vs. ex...