Wednesday, March 2, 2022

at least it's not a noisy American

I'm in Qatar now. On the advise if my friend's friend..  who is "now", my friend, CJ, I bought a passes to the lounge here at the Qatar & at Manila. 

A bit pricey. But, it feels good to spend a little on myself with everything going on. Especially with all the long flights and layovers.

Qatar, $96
Manila, $55

Shower, all-you-can-eat, (high-end) good & beverages, including alcohol. 

It's a pretty big place and very fancy looking. So the atmosphere a bit is like a library in terms of noise level. 

In fact, the have (subtle) signs everywhere saying that it's an "announcement free" lounge so remember to keep an eye for your flights. 

So first things first, find the shower. I took a quick look online before purchasing the passes to see what the amenities are. Didn't notice that shower was one of them. 

I would have brought a fresh change of clothes. Luckily, I did bring an extra pair of underwear. 

I get to the showers. There's a reservation desk. It's full. There's a waiting area. She puts me on the list. 

While I'm waiting, other people come. Some people with European accents. Being way louder than the atmosphere calls for. Then what seemed to be an Indian group. Also being loud enough the attendant had to ask them to quiet down or leave. 

My turn comes up. Attendant leads me to the shower. Very spa-like. Shower stall. Bathroom stall. And nice sink / mirror area. (Pix when I figure out where they went)

I was about to shut the door and the attendant asked me if I wanted a shaving kit and toothpaste / brush. I found that nice that he took initiative to ask me rather than me having to ask them. Not sure if that's their sop, but it was a nice touch.

I've been waiting to use the bathroom... You know what I mean. The kind of sit-down where you can relax, take your time, no pressure, and just let go 😱🤣 took a load off. I notice that it has a separate sprayer to wash your tush. Like a manual bidet. 

The shower was so refreshing. Shaved. But as I'm shaving, I realize that the water wasn't draining fast enough so the shower was starting to overflow onto the floor. 

Usually, I brush my teeth in the shower too, but, with the water raising, decided to do it after the shower. 

Tried to find a way to open the drain or something. Couldn't find anything. 

Luckily they gave me enough towels so that I could clean it up. I don't know why, but I felt very embarrassed if I left it with the water everywhere. 

Refreshed.

Now to find food & drink. 

They seat me. There is buffet and separate menu. Menu is a QR code to download. For some reason having issues with that. Also, been having trouble with my phone's camera. Pix and vids not showing up. 

Anywhoo, go to the restaurant. They have 2. One is a fancier one with lamb, meat, sushi, all sorts of desert, soups, etc... The other is more "light" / sandwich. 

Both have bars. 

I chose the fancy one. Some things the waiter can get for you, other things you have to go to get yourself. 

Round one. I order bloody Mary with the waiter. But have to go to the sushi bar to order sushi myself. BTW, the sushi bar is right next to the alcohol bar. SMH. 

I order sushi, then as I'm coming back to my table I see some Indian style beef and lamb. I get a little of both. 

By the time I got back to my table, bloody Mary still not herem as Im about to start on the beef and lamb, sushi shows up (before the bloody Mary). 

When the bloody Mary arrives, I ask the waiter to order me another. He seemed a little confused. I explained that since it took so long to get the bloody Mary, if I waited to order until after I finished the first, I'd have want longer... He got it. Ordered the second one. 

Wouldn't you know it, by the time I was done with the first, the 2nd one arrived ☺️.

Meanwhile, there's one lady here, probably in her late 30s. With a heavy accent. Not sure if it's Australian or South African or something like that... She's on her phone, talking so loudly. Sounds like she's "counseling" someone... Giving them advice. 

In my mind, usually, seems like when I go outside of the country, the "loud", obnoxious, ones are the American. 

I finish my food, the 2nd bloody Mary, the waiter comes over to clear my plate, then he offers to get whatever I want from the buffet. Huh? Round one he told me that buffet is self-service and that he couldn't get for me. 

Oh well. Since you asked, I liked the lamb and beef so asked him to get me some more. He suggested adding rice to it. Sure. 

He brings it all back. Yum. 

I ask what they have as far as whiskey, only Dewar's. Seems a bit strange. But look. Double on the rocks please. 

I start coughing, flegm, etc... And realize I haven't taken my meds. So, I need something more "lubricating" to take my meds with. Waiter comes over and I talls me what juices they have. On the list, mint lemonade. Sounds good. I order that. Tastes good. Meds go down smoothly. 





1 comment:

  1. Good to see you let some 'pressure' off and are navigating the lounges like a pro!

    ReplyDelete

money & rides

Their money... The exchange rate was roughly 51p to $1. So, $100usd = $5,271.70. It was a bit hard to tell what was going to be cheap vs. ex...