Friday, March 4, 2022

Gotta Love Qatar Airways

Last night, 24 hours before my flight, I got an alert from Qatar's app, an email from them, and an email from the site I bought the tickets from telling me that I can check in. 

Went to their app to check in. It had a highlighted note that I could check in. 

Tried to check in. No go. 

Went to their website. Tried there. Same error. 

Not only that, but both in the app and the website, before even getting to this screen, tried to "verify" myself using booking number. Didn't work. Then tried e-ticket number. Also no go. 

Booking # turns out what I thought was a "0" is an "O". 

The e-ticket # in my itinerary had a few extra numbers. Why? I don't know. 

So, not being able to check-in, decided to call them. Took an hour and 10 minutes for someone to answer.

The person on the phone was pretty rude. Was frustrated with me trying to figure out how to check in. 

He can't check me in. But, he can tell me if the flight is on time or not. 😝

Great! I'm so happy I waited an hour + to see if my flight for "tomorrow" is in time ... As if over the next 24 hours something couldn't change. 

But, in order to tell me something that I could find out on my own from the website, he's got to verify my identity! 😱

First question, how did I pay for the ticket. Um, I'm not sure. I have to check my email. 

Him: don't worry, we'll verify a different way. 
Me: ok
Him: what date did you purchase the ticket?
Me: I don't recall, let me check my email. 
Me: checks my email. Says 02/24/2022.
Me: 02/24/2022
Him: no. Sorry. Since you failed both questions, I can't give you the that info. 

Wait! What? Yeah. Sorry. 

Him: I see what the problem is regarding checking in.
Me: what?
Him: since your itinerary has Qatar Airways & Philippine Airlines, we don't have the ability to check you in.
Me: what? What does one have to do with the other? 
Him: sorry. That's how it is.
Me: your company can get passengers from one side of the world to another but doesn't have a way to check in if your itinerary has multiple airlines?!
Me: this has got to be one of the most unproductive phone calls I've ever had.
Him: so sorry you feel that way. You can go to the airport. They can help you there. 
Me: thanks for nothing!

So, next day (today), while I had my day schedule to:
Pack
Leave to airport by 4p because based on what I read, I am supposed to go to terminal "E" too get a covid test before I can go. 
Place closes at 6p. 

So, even though my flight leaves at 9:30p (boarding at 8:30p), need to be there before 6p to make sure I get tested. 

Decided instead to pack and then go to the airport right away and hopefully take care of all this so this stuff early. Check in, and set up to work from airport. 

Get to the airport around noon. 

Terminal pretty much empty. No one working the desk. 

Eventually, someone came out around 1:30p said that they'd open at 3:30p.

Next person came out maybe an hour later. Said they open at 4:20p
Next person comes out about an hour later. Says they'll open at 5:15p
About an hour later, someone else comes out. Said they open at 5p
Next person comes out. Same guy that said 5:15p. Still says 5:15p. 

But, he suggested I weigh my bags. They are overweight. He recommends moving some stuff from one suitcase to another to try and lighten them. Makes it sound like he'll help me get them through without charging fee. 

When they finally open...
No need to get tested.
Hand the person at the counter my passport, covid vaccine card, other requirements, she she's looking it over. Making me nervous. She calls someone else over. They discuss something. Ask me for negative covid test. Which I forgot to print out. Looked it up on phone. No problem. 

Now weighing the luggage... 
First one, overweight. I look at the guy that was helping me before... He looks at me like "sorry, can't help". 

I tell the attendant that I have my CPAP machine on the bag and that shouldn't count against my weight because it's a medical device. 

They discuss amungst themselves. Ask for supervisor. She comes over and asked me a few questions. 
Her: Have you traveled with it before?
Me: Yes
Her: no one's had an issue before?
Me: no.
Her: tells her subordinate that it's ok

Now the next suitcase...
Also overweight. 
Her: Do you also have medical stuff in here. 
Me: no
Her: I'll have to charge you.
Me: (not thinking clearly) no. I guess I'll have to pay. 
Her: $65

Stupid me... Could have said yes and not gotten charged. 

Oh well. Cheaper than them going through the bags and charging me for any duties on the stuff I have in there. 

Got something to eat / drink... 






2 comments:

money & rides

Their money... The exchange rate was roughly 51p to $1. So, $100usd = $5,271.70. It was a bit hard to tell what was going to be cheap vs. ex...