Monday, April 25, 2022

Sorry It's Been A While

Today is 04/25/2022, I can't believe it's close to a month since I've been back. I don't even know where to begin in order to catch up but, I'll try to nutshell it and then expound. 

Today, Rheena picked up 


https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYPpYqxPCNhHjZmk6

  1. the MSI laptop. While I was there, I couldn't get the USB ports to recognize. I haven't really used it since it was at MSI for repairs half a year ago. Wanted to make a backup / boot disk. Contacted MSI, asked them what to do. They gave me some guidance. But, after a day of trying their suggestions, the computer got to a point that it didn't even start up anymore. Basically, worse than what it was before. At least before, I had a working computer. Just no USB ports. Since it's out of warranty and it's in the Philippines, the only other option (from MSI's POV) is to send it back to them, pay $60 diagnostic fee, and if I choose to have them repair it, the fee would be applied to the repair. This computer has been nothing but trouble since I got it. MSI's support is crap. The computer, ever since I've had it sounds like a jet... The fans are running all the time. Overheats, etc... While it was under warranty (just barely), I finally got around to getting in touch with them and sending it in for repair. Of course shipping to them is my cost. Shipping back to me is my cost. Well, in sending it to them, somehow the screen got cracked. It as insured via UPS. They don't want to pay since they decided I didn't pack it well enough (I packed it in the original packaging). So, fighting with UPS, ended up having to pay out of pocket to repair the screen before I could get anything else done to it. Finally, once the was "repaired" I got it back. Everything seemed to work. Never thought to test the USB ports although, I should have tried to make the boot disk then, I would have found out and still been under warranty. Anywhoo. So, MSI laptop out of commission. The guy that got us the internet says he can fix it... 2800php ($53.44). Reasonable. 
  2. A few days after the MSI computer went down, the HP had a short in the power cable. Spark flying. Small fire started in Rheena's kitchen. Scary as hell. So, HP computer down. In the US, the cable would cost less than $20, I could get it in a few days and I should get a surge protector. Another $20 or so. In the Philippines...  $34.35 for the power cable, surge protector, and three converters (3-prong to 2-prong since all of her outlets at home are 2 pronged). That took close to 3 weeks to get. 
  3. Roughly a week after we brought the MSI to Ruel (the guy that got us the internet), he tells us that it's ready for pick up. BTW, to get to Ruel, it's about an hour walk down the mountain, then a half hour drive. The drive can be done by "tricycle", jeepnee, taxi, etc... Cheapest is Jeepnee. But, all in all, round trip cost +/- 300php ($5.73USD) and pretty much a full day. So, I send Rheena to get it. Ruel is no where to be found, spends half the day waiting for him. Finally get it. Once she bring it home though, wouldn't you know it, the Window's license needs a key. Ruel won't give us the key so that we can just plug it in. Needs us to bring the computer back to him. 
  4. Now, we've got the MSI computer, the HP cable, a surge protector, and an adapter. So, we'll see how it all goes. 
In the meantime, Rheena and Laica have been doing what they can (learning wise) via phone. As I mentioned before, I set them up with a curriculum so that they can do the learning online. Of course without the computer, it's hard to learn about the computer, productivity tools, etc... But, I've had them leaning; English, writing, Americanisms, etiquette, grammar, reading, and other business concepts that don't require the computer. 

Laica is still too "shy" to speak in English, I need ideas on how to get her confidence up so that she can / will practice with me and Rheena to actually speak it. She has a very low self-esteem. I need to figure out how to raise that up too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

money & rides

Their money... The exchange rate was roughly 51p to $1. So, $100usd = $5,271.70. It was a bit hard to tell what was going to be cheap vs. ex...